Once a year, every year since dinosaurs typed out blog posts with their wee flailing dinosaur hands on their gigantic Stone Age laptops, I do a Meme. Generally speaking, I do not like Memes. I do not think that my Pranksters give a fucking shit how I best like my coffee or what is in my purse right now.
I am compulsive. And since I do this every year, I do this EVERY YEAR.
(As proof that I do not actually have a life, I offer this: 2010 here, 2009 here, 2008 here, 2007 here, 2006 here. I have 2005 somewhere in an email list, which is where I’d gotten this stupid meme in the first place)
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I started over again. Oh, wait. I said “again.” Hrms. *thinks* I bought a headboard for my bed, which is actually the first headboard I didn’t receive as a hand-me-down.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’m not much of a “resolutions” person, so no, not really. Last year I (jokingly) vowed for total world domination. This year? I hope to read more and stress less. I hope to find stability and look for wonder in the smallest of places.
Okay, that was deep. SOMEONE GIMMIE A FART JOKE.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
If my timeline is to be believed, I’m pretty sure The Twitter was pregnant. All of it.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My good friend and coworker on The Band Back Together Project passed away on Christmas Eve. Misty, we’re already missing you.
5. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A bejeweled princess telephone.
6. What countries did you visit?
My head is a scary enough place to exist.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
July was the month of change.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I can effectively figure out how to work the television.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’ll allow the Internet to pick that one apart. Let’s just say, “a lot of things,” and leave it at that, Meme.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had the flu. It was pretty awesome if you’re into the whole “sweating balls while you sleep.”
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new microwave. It sounds like a jet plane taking off.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Since I can’t name one person without naming everyone, I’ll go with my daughter, who began to sing a song called “Stubborn Asshole,” a phrase she did NOT pick up from me, which means that she’s going to become a magnificent swearer.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I always hate this question – it’s so 7th grade. If I wanted to write a slam book, I would. Thankfully, I do not.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Moving-related expenses – turns out, moving is kinda a bitch.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Learning to use the television. ALSO: Band Back Together Project is NOW a federally-recognized non-profit (501 (c) 3). That’s pretty rad.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
With Arms Outstretched, Rilo Kiley.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Some days are better than others. Some minutes are better than others.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Erms. Can I answer that? I don’t feel it’s appropriate.
Okay, Meme, let me take a stab at that:
i) more or less like Justin Beaver – less, obvs. Don’t have the kicky hairs.
ii) more or less likely to decide inanimate objects looked like boobs – more. Bring on the boobs.
iii) more or less likely to watch Glee – More – I can accept how bizarre the show has become.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Pranking The Internet.
Taking over the world.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sweating from my eyeballs.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family, Dave and the kids. I even got a pashmina afghan, although it was not, in fact, nautical themed, which was probably wise, considering that we were not on a boat.
21. There was no #21. I don’t know why there was no 21.
I’ll make up my own question:
Why are you so annoying, Aunt Becky?
Baby, I was born this way.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
23. How many one-night stands?
Every year, I feel like less of a floozy when I have to admit that I had none.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Reruns of NBC’s Life. Fucking shame that show got canceled.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
And, of course:
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
Coffee. I learned to make coffee.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I’m not a movie person in the same way I’m not a sandwich person – but I did see the last of the Batman Trilogy, and while I have no earthly clue as to what it was about, there were some rad action scenes.
That sucked. I’m going to make up a new question:
Where are your pants?
Like I fucking know. Ask Siri. They’re probably on their way to Vegas with my sanity.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 and had a nervous breakdown. It was not, perhaps, my best birthday ever. I think next year, I’ll aim for a December birthday and ignore the month of July entirely – it’s a bullshit month.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A more comfy pillow. Hey, it’s the small shit in life, Pranksters.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
“It’s totally okay to wear pajamas out of the house.”
34. What kept you sane?
Um, I write a blog on The Internet where I call myself “Aunt Becky.” I haven’t been “sane” in years.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The ShamWow guy.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The great “Get up” or “get down” debate.
37. Who did you miss?
My sanity? Oh, you said “who.” Hrms. My pants? Wait. No. Um.
OH LOOK A BLUE CAR!
38. Who was the best new person you met?
You. You, mah Pranksters. Always you guys.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Snorting Smarties does not, in fact, make you smarter.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“There is a crack, a crack, in everything. That’s how the light gets in.”
The rest of the meme says I should tag some people but, eh, I don’t tagging people. It makes me twitchy. Mostly because I’ll forget someone and then, then I’ll feel sad in the pants.
I’m tagging each of you. If I can do one Meme a year, SO CAN YOU, Pranksters. DO IT. It’s full of the awesome.
Happy Happy New Year, Pranksters.
I added a linky for you guys to add your posts, if you do this one! Why? Because obviously we want to hear about YOUR year, too.